Friday, November 29, 2013

COOKIE SWAP 2012 AND A PUMPKIN SNICKERDOODLE RECIPE

Let the holidays begin!  Ya to the hoo!!!  I hope you're all having a lovely weekend followed by a most beautiful Thanksgiving.  I'll start by acknowledging that I haven't been doing much blogging lately, and have been meaning/hoping to update you all soon.  There is so much to be thankful for, and I'm looking forward to enjoying this season whole heartedly and with gusto!

For now, I wanted to make sure and post Cookie Swap 2012 for the record books...before Cookie Swap 2013 happens in the near future.  Oops...I guess I never did do that, did I?  Ah well.  We had a great time.  There's just nothing like the joy that Christmas brings, the smiles, the laughter, and...the cookies.  Seriously.  Enjoy...and do let me know, how does a cookie swap work in your neck of the woods?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The 3rd Annual Cookie Swap, along with a recipe for Pumpkin Snickerdoodles.  Please excuse the photography...imperfect lighting and focus and such.  I'm over it.  :)

My mama and my sister came a bit beforehand to help.  Love these two!


Just a few treats to enjoy while chatting and waiting to swap cookies!


The cookie tables with a few of the cookies that arrived before the party!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

GUESTS WERE ASKED TO BRING
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

1.  1/2 dozen cookies/bars/treats for each guest attending (pre-packaged...ziplocs, tupperware, cellophane bags, etc...totally up to them).  I sent an Evite to confirm the number of guests ahead of time, also asking that they responded with the type of cookie they would bring (to avoid multiples of the same cookie).

2.  1 written or printed recipe for each guest in attendance

3.  1 basket/box/bag to carry home their cookie loot

*  I realize there are a million and one ways to do a Cookie Swap/Exchange.  This is just a peek into how I do mine.  We even had some gals bring cookies ahead of time in order to participate, even though they couldn't make it that evening.  So glad they could still be a part of the swap!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

THE FUN
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

THE LOOT AND A RECIPE FOR

PUMPKIN SNICKERDOODLES
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 


So much yummy goodness!  So thankful for the time and effort these ladies put into the making of these treats.  I have to admit, I was a bit bummed with the way my pumpkin snickerdoodles turned out.  A bit dry and thick.  Definitely a chugger...as in while eating one, you'd have to chug a glass of milk to survive.  I had actually made these cookies previously, just bite size, and enjoyed them thoroughly.  I think I wouldn't make them full size again after comparing the two.  Just a little inside scoop for ya...before you go and hand out a bunch of chuggers to your friends and family unknowingly.  


Please forgive me!  I forgot to save the inspiration link for these cookies, so I don't have the original source to credit here!  I did not make up this cookie recipe on my own and do not take credit for it. 

Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
Yield: about 3-4 dozen cookies

Ingredients:
For the cookies:
3¾ cups all-purpose flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
¾ cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
For the coating:
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
Dash of allspice

Directions:
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Whisk to blend and set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.  Blend in the pumpkin puree.  Beat in the egg and vanilla until incorporated.  With the mixer on low speed add in the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.  Cover and chill the dough for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.  Line baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.  Combine the sugar and spices for the coating in a bowl and mix to blend.  Scoop the dough (about 2½ tablespoons) and roll into a ball.  Coat the dough ball in the sugar-spice mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet.  Repeat with the remaining dough to fill the sheets, spacing the dough balls 2-3 inches apart.  Dip the bottom of a flat, heavy-bottomed drinking glass in water, then in the sugar-spice mixture, and use the bottom to flatten the dough balls slightly.  Recoat the bottom of the glass in the sugar-spice mixture as needed.  

Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until just set and baked through.  Let cool on the baking sheets about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Repeat with the remaining dough.  Store in an airtight container.


As always, love my little helper.  Cookie Swap time is time for him and Daddy to enjoy being/doing something together and letting us ladies rule the house for a bit.  But first, he was so precious helping me get ready and was adamant on taking coats from the gals as they arrived.  Couldn't love him more...or his festive spirit.  What's funny is that I had just hung a couple hooks in the entry prior to the party, and after hanging coats and walking away for a time, I came back to a pile of coats on the floor and a whole ripped out of the wall.  Oops.  Improper installation.  Obviously.  Hey, I'm human.  I'd like to think that it made somebody at the party feel more human too.  :)  My Dad did come some time after and helped me install the hooks properly, so I'm assuming we won't have a repeat performance this year.  Your coats are safe with me...I hope.



Merry start to the Christmas season from our house to yours!  

Here's a peek at 2011's shindig...

I'm preparing our advent calendar to begin on Sunday.  
Little buddy is so excited!  Can't believe it's already that time of year again!  
It just doesn't seem real!  And just for a little sneak peek at our life 
update that has yet to make an appearance on the blog...


Woo hoo!!!  We couldn't be more excited!

Much love and many blessings!




1 comment:

  1. Fun Holly! I've been wanting to blog more too lately. Love reading yours! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails