Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Frosted Peanut Butter Brownies and The Pinterest Challenge



Oh peanut butter and chocolate...you stole my heart long ago...and I never really got it back!  :)
  



Just wanted to mention that this post was inspired by...



and spear headed by these gals...head to their blogs to read about the challenge and participate!


Sherry @ Young House Love,     Katie @ Bower Power,     Emily @ Style By Emily Henderson,     Lana @ Making a House a Home


So fun and inspiring and quite the collection of amazing ideas and talent.  Actually, my DIY Pottery Barn Inspired Ornament Advent Calendar was inspired by Katie's beautiful rendition.   (I'm looking forward to sprucing mine up a bit this year...lack of time got the best of me with my frist attempt.)

Since my bod hasn't been up for too many awesome house projects as of lately, standing and baking something yummy was just what I needed.


Alrighty then, back to the grub...
and by grub I mean chewy, gooey, peanut 
buttery, chocolate covered goodness.




I recently pinned a post from Our Best Bites, Chocolate Frosted Peanut Butter Cookie Bars.  They looked so delicious, and they triggered a childhood memory of some lovely peanut butter chocolate brownies my Mom used to make.  Okay, I had to make some...Mom?  Oh Mom?!  Do you still have the recipe?



 
My Mom always baked lots of goodies growing up.  Cookies, pies, cakes, bars, cupcakes, brownies, biscuits, and cobblers...we were always treated with Mom's home baked goodies.  It was a given.  I don't remember there being a day or an evening that there wasn't something on the counter waiting for us to devour.  My Mom would tell us stories of when she was little, the second oldest of 6 siblings.  Often, she would help out in the kitchen and act as "little Mommy" to her brothers and sisters.  One of the vivid memories for her was of baking, and she quickly became an expert biscuit maker (I can vouch for that!).  While I haven't quite become the expert biscuit maker she is, she has passed on a joy of baking and providing for family that I am so thankful for, and baking with chocolate and peanut butter has become one of my specialties.  


If I remember right, we got this recipe long ago from one of our gymnastic coaches.  My Mom would make these often, and I remember a love of peanut butter and chocolate being born.  These days, Mom and Dad are eating a bit more health consciously, so she's not cooking up the treats like she did back in the day (although if you remember these Vegan Peanut Butter Cups...you really would never know!), but I knew if I asked her to dig out the recipe, she would...and of course she did!  


Alrighty folks...so here it is.  Bake these bad boys up and enjoy.  You won't be disappointed.


Peanut Butter Brownies

1 1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 3/4 cup flour 

3/4 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups oatmeal


Frosting
1 bag milk chocolate chips
1 big spoonful of peanut butter

Mix wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet.  The dough will be thick.   Spread the dough evenly on a cookie sheet (around 17 x 20).  I like to line the cookie sheet with parchment paper first.  Keep fingers moist to make spreading the dough easier.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes.  It will not look quite done.  While still warm, spread melted chocolate chips (mixed with a big ol' spoonful of peanut butter) on top.  Easiest to cut when cool.  So yummy!  Enjoy!!




Hope you are doing so well and enjoying a great start to the week.
Big hugs!  I'll try not to get chocolate all over you.



Also linking to...


3 comments:

  1. Um, YUM!!! That looks great, Holly. My husband's birthday is coming up and this would be a perfect birthday treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great ... just what I needed to see! I too have a long-standing love affair with that combo ... off to check the pantry for ingredients! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails