Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes...Yum!

I made some chocolate cupcakes this weekend to share with our Small Group friends and kiddos.  They were yummers...especially knowing that I usually resort to busting out a boxed mix.  After making cupcakes from the usual prepared mix for our Valentine's Cupcakes (see below), I still whole heartedly felt good about making a cupcake that tasted good and looked cute, even though it started from a box.



This time however, I wanted to try the homemade route.  Now unfortunately, I'd say the cuteness factor went down a notch.  :)  As far as presentation, I didn't quite go the fancy route...as I was not up for fancy schmancy after the weekend we had....but they were cute enough to look like they would be tasty...kind of that totally amazing thrown together homemade look...he he he.  Although I'm not super proud to say, "Hey look how amazing these cupcakes look," they are what I made and what we all enjoyed...so why not!


Some time ago, I found some cute wrappers at a regular grocery store (they were foil lined which was a great little feature) and used them to give the cupcakes an easy little dose of color and fun.  The chocolate cake recipe was great, smooth, light, fluffy, and delicious, although the chocolate flavor was not the intense chocolate flavor I had envisioned (could have been the brand of cocoa I had on hand).  As I was sort of flying by the seat of my pants (again, long weekend), I whipped up some frosting...kind of my own concoction (my mama's sugar cookie frosting...(which we use for everything)...with cocoa and peanut butter added in).  While it had a yummy flavor, the texture and consistency was a little too stiff...so as I spread it on the cupcakes (I didn't have a bag and tip handy) I couldn't get it to look very smooth and lovely.  ENTER: chocolate sprinkles!  Filled a little bowl full, dipped the top of each cupcake in those sprinkles, and voila.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Chocolate Cupcakes

Makes 24-27 Standard Sized Cupcakes
(I ended up cooking 3 extra in ramekins and that worked out great!)

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (best quality available)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (best quality available)
1 cup boiling water



Directions



Heat oven to 350*F.  Line muffin tin with paper liners. 

In a large mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients - sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Add wet ingredients - eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla.  Beat on medium speed for one minute.

Stir in boiling water...batter will look very thin and watery...this is exactly right! 

Fill liners 1/2 to 2/3 full.  (Works great to use a large batter bowl for pouring.)

Bake cupcakes for approximately 22 minutes give or take.

Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Simple, homemade cupcakes from scratch.  Yay!  I found the recipe from Glorious Treats, which had been adapted from Hershey...and slightly adapted it myself.  I think I will try a different cocoa powder when I make these again to see if I can intensify the chocolate flavor.  Glorious Treats recommended Ghirardelli.  If you haven't checked out Glorious Treats yet, head on over...you won't be disappointed...she makes awesome desserts.  Here is her version of the chocolate cupcakes...much cuter frosting and pretty much looks perfect.  Go girl!

PHOTO CREDIT GOES TO GLORIOUS TREATS

Next time, I think I'll focus on mastering the frosting situation...maybe work on making some legit...awesome looking...swirls.  :)  Maybe I'll try her peanut butter frosting soon...looks delicious!

PHOTO CREDIT GOES TO GLORIOUS TREATS


I also have my eye on her cream cheese frosting...looks amazing!

PHOTO CREDIT GOES TO GLORIOUS TREATS

Do you have any favorite cupcake or frosting recipes?

Blessings to you all! 




4 comments:

  1. Okay ... I'm trying to eat a little better and here you have picture after picture of delicious little chocolate bites ... with peanut butter frosting?!?! Pure and delicious torture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think both of your cupcakes turned out awesome! I do have a question for you about the first one. How where you able to keep it so narrow and tall looking? Meaning, they don't have their natural 'cupcake' shape. I really like it and I'd really like to know how you do that!

    This past summer I found an awesome recipe on YouTube for butter cream icing. I'm talking good stuff. I've done it the original way the recipe calls for and I've also added cocoa to make it chocolate and let me just tell you....to die for! Seriously. Let me know if you'd like the link and I'll send it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Morgan!!! I find it so hard to resist lately! You stay strong! :)

    Miss V, I agree. It was merely the wrappers. I happened to find some red wrappers at Target during Christmas near the party isle...kind of Scandinavian in style. They were taller and skinnier than most other wrappers. When I put them in the cupcake pan, I thought...hmmm...wonder how this is going to work.

    Well, they held up nicely, and i loved how they turned out a little taller...just like you noticed.

    Not sure if Target still has that same style because I haven't looked recently. I will say this. They are a bit more beautiful in look, but a bit harder to bite like a normal sized cupcake. I'll open my mouth wider for a cuter cupcake any day! :)

    I'd love the link to some awesome butter cream icing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing, Holly! Thanks for including the recipe -- I'll definitely have to try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails