Thursday, May 19, 2011

Chicken Caesar Salad with Homemade Croutons

Seriously one of my all time favorite, simple, satisfying, and flavorful go to meals.


Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.  All you need is...

ROMAINE HEARTS washed, dried, and cut to your preferred size.
I like to buy the large bags of romaine hearts at Costco.

Some folks tear their lettuce...me?...I cut...faster way to the salad spinner.

I use this salad spinner.  It works like a champ.

OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner


Find a wide, shallow bowl that can hold tons of yumminess.
You can go large serving bowl size for the fam, or stick to personal sized salad bowls.

These are my favorite from Pottery Barn.  I always love white dishes.  Classic, versatile, lovely.

Great White Soup Bowl, Set of 4

Create a large mound of lettuce in your bowl.

Then you add a little CAESAR DRESSING.

Our favorite is this one...just the right mix of creamy and zing.

Cardini's Original Caesar Dressing, 20-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 6)

Our worship pastor introduced us to this brand.  He used to be a chef/cook in a great little cafe back in the day.  He brought us dinner when Cooper was born...Pasta Puttanesca and Caesar Salad.  It was amazing...you know those days when you have just brought baby home, you are exhausted, a little loopy, famished, covered in spit up and poo, and you've got people coming over to oooh and ahhh over your precious little bundle...and then they hand you dinner?!  It was like eating heaven!  Well, it really was, and simply put, from then on, this caesar dressing has a permanent spot in our refrigerator door.  I have been meaning to share my pasta puttanesca recipe.  Hopefully it will make its way on here.


Next, pile on the fresh PARMESAN CHEESE shredded to perfection.

I shred our cheeses using this one...

OXO Good Grips Box Grater

and sometimes this one.

Microplane Fine Grater

Depends on the mood I'm in.  :)  
Big shreds of cheese or little curls.  
They each have a special place in my heart.

After the parmesan cheese, pile on some COOKED CHICKEN.

Cut up and cook with a little kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder, and extra virgin olive oil.  Simple and tasty.  Sometimes, I use a little lemon pepper.  Lemon is a good compliment to caesar flavors.  If you want to, cut up a lemon into wedges, and serve with your bowl of salad.  A little squirt of lemon juice goes a long way with this meal.




The chicken is vital if making this salad for a lunch or dinner.  The chicken gives it that oomph 
and satisfying/filling aspect...and without it, you are left with a tasty side dish.


And to top it all off, HOMEMADE CROUTONS.

Pugliese bread (from Costco or any store...and lots of different breads would work wonderfully...so don't feel too badly if Pugliese isn't your thing) diced and cooked on the stovetop over low-medium heat in a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled with kosher salt, pepper, and garlic powder...I'm telling you...make A LOT!!!  My husband calls them flavor bombs, anyone who eats them is shocked at how tasty they are, and we all start popping them in our mouths like candy.  

They are crisp and toasty on the outside, and soft and chewy on the inside.  They are seriously out of this world, and to this day, I struggle to eat caesar salad without these croutons.

The cool crisp lettuce, the savory chicken, the creaminess of the cheese and dressing, all topped with the warm and chewy croutons...it's just out of this world.  Whether you have a great recipe of your own or venture out to try this one, I hope you have a chance to enjoy some chicken caesar salad soon!  Invite a friend over for lunch.  They'll be glad you did.

Many blessings to you all.  I've been meaning to update you as to my lack of posting lately.  My arthritis is back and giving me a run for my money.  I'll fill you in soon enough.  Until then, much love and happy eating.  Every day is better with a little something yummy to eat!

Blessings,




2 comments:

  1. I do love homemade croutons ... sometimes we have salad, just so I and eat them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dear,

    Been trying to send you messages letting you know my blog has moved. Come over and follow me there instead.



    ♥ http://mybookness.blogspot.com
    ♥ http://mybookness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails