Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday Worship: Children's Prayers

My sweet little nieces taught us a song to sing before we eat as a family...a special prayer they learned in preschool.  Hearing them sing it is more precious than any sweet harmony you've ever heard.  Although this is not it exactly (Joel and Mick, maybe you could remind me of the exact wording?), it does go a little something like this.


Such a sweet little way to remind our wee ones how important it is to thank God for all that we are afforded.

I must say, what a joy to be a Mom and to teach my son about prayer...and pray with him.  He is usually the first one to fold his hands or grab a hand for prayers...and I've never seen a sweeter scene of someone bowing their head in prayer.  His amens are the most joyous amens I've ever heard, and since teaching him a new song and prayer, he's been singing them out even more.  Johnny Appleseed is a song/prayer that is well known to many, and especially treasured in my husband's family, as they would all sing it out at every meal while on vacation at the lake house every summer...moms, dads, aunts, uncles, cousins, nana, and papa all joining hands and singing their praises to God.

Cooper is glad to have learned this one, and just today, he was singing his amens all over the house.  We add a lingering "Ohhhhhhhh...," at the beginning, and a good set of melodic amens at the end.  Good stuff.



I am absolutely thankful for being blessed with so many of the things I need!

When I was growing up, one of the simple prayers I remember praying as a family was....

Come Lord Jesus,
Be our guest.
Let these gifts 
To us be blessed.
Amen.

Aside from sitting with your child, and praying with them, do you have a favorite prayer/song that brings your family together while giving your praises to God?  Would love to know!

Blessings on your Sunday,



3 comments:

  1. When we pray together, we finish with "amen" and "shake the love around!" Everyone shakes the hands they're holding until everyone has a little love shaken into them :)

    I love to hear my kiddos pray at bedtime ... a little glimpse into their precious lives and hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to hear my little one pray too! It reminds me of how humble I need to be and I love to hear the innocence of a child. She too learned one to sing as a blessing. The words are:
    Thank you father, Thank you father, for our food. For our food.
    Many many blessings. Many many blessings. Amen. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies, I am so blessed to hear of your special prayer time with your wee ones.

    Morgan...shaking the love into our loved ones...what a fun idea.

    Holly...that is another sweet prayer that our nieces taught us. Thank you so much for reminding me!

    Thanks again for sharing a little bit of your precious lives with us!

    Blessings on your week!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails