Thursday, March 31, 2011

Shared Recipe: Potato Chip Chicken Casserole...Say what?

So we were visiting our friends for dinner a while back, and as usual, my friend Sybil made a yummy entree.  It was a casserole style chicken dish that had great flavor and a nice crunchy topping.  Sybil is always trying new recipes...and never seems to cook the same thing twice.  Because sometimes I'm not so eager to test a recipe I've never had or tasted before, I love that she does a lot of the testing, while I swoop in and ask for the recipe after a dinner date.  In this particular instance,  when I did, she told me it was Potato Chip Chicken Casserole.  My response...what?  

I usually try to keep things light and healthy around here...using fresh ingredients and not a lot of processed foods. Granted, I fell in love with Paula Deen just like anyone else who watches The Food Network, and practically learned to cook while watching her and the other fun chefs.  But I didn't think people literally cooked like that...tons o' butter...lard...sour cream...mayo...not to mention potato chips all up in your chicken's business.  Paula does always say, "Honey, I ain't your doctor; I'm your cook."  

Anyhow, I saw that the recipe came from Cooking Light, and when I looked at the ingredients, it didn't seem all that bad.  I wouldn't boast that it is the healthiest meal you can make, but with a few key ingredients, I think it lends to great flavor and texture.  I am posting the recipe the way I made it...but it originally calls for low fat versions of many of the ingredients such as mayo, sour cream, and potato chips.  There are some low fat ingredients I can get behind in flavor and from a health perspective, but there are some ingredients I just chose to use as is...original goodness.

This is a fun family meal that the kids can help with.  Smashing potato chips is pretty awesome!  It's also a fun one for Christmas time...as the green onions and red pepper lend to a festive feel.  Please enjoy!

As you can see, this is after we have dished up...and had seconds!

Potato Chip Chicken Casserole

4 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 4 breasts)
1/4 cup chopped green onions (I just used practically the whole bunch...)
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (I use one whole pepper.)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 small can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking Spray
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese (I eyeballed it.)
3/4 cup crushed potato chips (about 2 ounces) (I eyeballed this too.)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine chicken, green onions, red bell pepper, parsley, and water chestnuts in a large bowl; stir well.  
3. Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.  
4. Add mayonnaise mixture to chicken mixture; stir well to combine.  
5. Spoon chicken mixture into a standard casserole dish coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with cheese.  
6. Top cheese evenly with chips.  
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 13 minutes or until filling is bubbly and chips are golden.  

Yield: 6 servings.
I like to serve this with rice, fruit, and a salad.


Happy Eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails