Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday Worship: Galations 6: 4-5, Two Translations...My Creative Best



Each one should test their own actions. 
Then they can take pride in themselves alone, 
without comparing themselves to someone else, 
for each one should carry their own load.
...
Galations 6: 4-5 
New International Version


Make a careful exploration of who you are 
and the work you have been given, and then 
sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with 
yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. 
Each of you must take responsibility for doing 
the creative best you can with your own life.
...
Galations 6: 4-5 
The Message


I hadn't really looked at this verse carefully before, but as I compared a fairly direct translation (NIV) with a more conversational and "explained in everyday language" version (The Message), this verse practically jumped up and did a little dance came alive on the page for me.  


Without even realizing it most of the time, I compare myself to others...my home, my abilities, my taste in clothing and hair style, my blog, my relationships, my "stuff", and I find that it only starts to lead me down a very empty and lonely road.  So not what I was created for...that's for sure!  



I am constantly striving to knock some sense into myself when I forget remember that God made me exactly who I am with a purpose in mind...a holy and worthy purpose far beyond my earthly expectations and piddly every day comparisons with others.  My life is not my own, but rather, I belong to Him.  Shall I spend my time and energy trying to please and impress others?  Who am I really aiming to please?  Isn't it undoubtedly more important...for me to simply let Him lead my heart and hands...to do His work in my life and the life of those I encounter...to take what He has so generously and mercifully given me...the gifts He has blessed me with...to know who I am in Him...and use my whole self to share...bless...shine...His love...His light...His glory?  Who am I?  


I am His.  It's about time I take more responsibility for doing my creative best with this precious time He has given me...better get to sinking myself into being the ME He created me to be...better start living...really living! 


Blessings to you dear friends!  Are you doing your creative best?  Every day, every second...you get to decide who you are going to be...and who you are going to serve.




Big hugs,

1 comment:

  1. love, love, love it! Thanks for the sweet reminder today ... I am His and He has made me to be uniquely and wonderfully ME! I definitely fall into the "me-compared-to-so-and-so" boat and it is a yucky place to be.

    Thanks for encouraging me to go back to the basics ... and be authentic and transparently me. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails