Friday, February 4, 2011

Favorite Things Friday: My Mama's Sugar Cookie Recipe...Made Into Conversation Hearts

Happy Friday friends.  Boy does it feel so good to get to Friday.  I always love the feeling that Friday brings.  For me, it's like a breath of fresh air...something to look forward to...a day to celebrate.  Hope you enjoy your day.

*So sorry for the yellow hue in these photos.  I didn't want to let that stop me from sharing some pictures.  Don't hate!  :)

I wanted to share something with you so dear to my heart...two of my very favorite things.  


It's my Mama...and her sugar cookies

Growing up, there was always a baked good of some kind on the kitchen counter for us to enjoy throughout the week...a little gift of love and yum from Mom that we could always count on.  It was the best.  Always a little something special in our lunch box, always a little something special to share with our friends after school, and always a little something to get excited about enjoying as a special treat.  Her sugar cookies were well loved and usually around more often during holidays.  They have been baby shower favors, wedding favors, and special gifts to friends.  These doggone cookies are a part of our family, and a super sweet gift that Mom has given us time and time again.  My Mom never ceases to amaze me with her generosity.  She is always offering to help us, always encouraging us, always excited to share life's adventures with us...she is the Energizer Bunny that keeps our family running!




One year around Valentine's Day, my sister and I commissioned Mom to make some heart shaped sugar cookies that we could all turn into conversation hearts.  They turned out so cute, and now we love to make them during February as a fun way to celebrate Valentine's Day.  You can keep them in the family, or wrap them up for friends and neighbors.  Surely, you won't be disappointed.  I hope that you will enjoy this recipe as much as our family does.


Mama's Traditional Sugar Cookie Recipe

3/4 cup shortening (part butter)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Mix the shortening, butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla thoroughly.  Blend in the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Cover, and chill the dough at least an hour.  Roll the dough on a lightly floured board, about 1/4 or so thick.  Cut into the shapes of your choice.  Placed on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes at 400 degrees.



Mama's Buttercream Frosting

3 - 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3+ tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 - 1/2 cup butter
1/4+ cup milk
1 capful vanilla
*Edited to omit cocoa powder...my Mama caught my mistake...this is for chocolate frosting!

Mix these ingredients together vigorously until the frosting has a smooth consistency.  It should not be shiny.  I thinned it out ever so slightly to use for the writing.  

Don't you love my ghetto pastry bag?  Hey, a Ziploc with a decorating tip (cut a tiny hole and push it through from the inside of the bag) secured with a little tape worked marvelously.

Every time I ask my Mom for this frosting recipe, she can never put definitive numbers on it.  She's says, you just know it's ready and right when you look at it.  :)




I found a recipe for Royal Icing HERE that I hope to try someday.  
Looks like a fun way to frost cookies!
I think it would lend to more clean, crisp lines and a smoother texture.

Coop and I ventured down to my parents' house to frost these conversation hearts with my Mama the other day.  We had such a great time.  Cooper ate lots of frosting, and we made lots of cute cookies.  We brought home a plate full, and they are already gone.  The three of us weren't shooting for perfection; we were aiming for delish.  Slam dunk baby!


Oh, and Cooper was playing with some G.I Joe figurines that have all sorts of awesome costumes.  He was especially intrigued with the dude wearing the antarctic looking costume, and proceeded to come into the kitchen while my Mom and I finished frosting cookies, open the freezer, and carry on a conversation with the doll, as if he was asking him if he'd prefer the freezer.  We were speechless, and then busted out laughing.  This boy cracks me up!


By the end of the night, the sugar had taken it's toll...on our downstairs!  What a great day!


 Are there any baked goods that are a tradition in your family?  Would love to know!


DON'T FORGET TO ENTER -HERE- TO WIN $35 AT ANY OF CSN'S ONLINE STORES. GIVEAWAY ENDS SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 13TH AND WINNER WILL BE CHOSEN AT RANDOM AND ANNOUNCED ON VALENTINE'S DAY! HOPE YOU WIN!


Blessings to you,


Linking up with...

    

Crazy About My Baybah Photobucket show and share day

Simply DesigningPhotobucket 

504 Main Remodelaholic* a little lovely 

18 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linking up too Bee Friendly! Those sugar cookies are adorable, and so is your little guy Cooper:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How yummy yummy cookies..you have a sweet Mom & cute boy..you lucky girl...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Saturday, our daughter and I are getting together to make Valentine goody bags and your Conversation Heart Cookies have inspired us!!! Thank you for the idea and blessings to you and your family! I saw your link on Whipperberry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great! What a fun classroom treat to share. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey all! Just wanted to let you know I edited the frosting recipe to omit the cocoa powder. My Mama caught this one for me. We add in the cocoa powder when we're making chocolate frosting. it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummo!! that really looks super yummy!! Your house looks exactly like mine right now - those blocks always seem to be everywhere and spread out quickly!
    Emily
    http://familylifeinlv.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting me today :)

    I love the cookies! I think Ill try that this year for the kids valentines parties.

    Thanks!
    ~Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good! I love making cookies!

    Wanted to let you know that you have an award over at my blog!

    Have a happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Yum, thanks for sharing these. I showed them to my children and they are very excited about trying them out. Hope ours turn out half as good as these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Holly. I'm enjoying your blog, just found you the other day and bookmarked. Today I am following. I'm new to blogging but you can visit me at www.the blunderosa.blogspot.com. I do a Tuesdays are for Thanks that you might like. Your butter cream frosting recipe is the same as my mama's!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought your photos were fantastic - not at all yellow in a bad way. They look as though they're *meant* to be like that - all photoshopped and arty!!

    What a gorgeous recipe - and so special that it's come from your mother. I love cooking handed-down recipes. It makes me feel really happy, particularly if I'm cooking with my daughter.

    I'm looking forward to following along with you.

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Holly! These are fantastic. will be featuring them tomorrow on my blog {if that's okay!}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cookies are so cute! I love this idea!

    Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites! I'm featuring you this week! Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such cuties...and your cookies look terrific as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm, family recipes are the best... and those conversation hearts are the only ones I think I'd eat! They look great. I featured you today on my valentine round up :)

    http://sunshineandchaucer.blogspot.com/2011/02/be-my-valentine-round-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. i use shortening in my cookies too. so many bakers are mean about shortening but I LOVE it

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Holly! This is my first time on your blog. I have not made sugar cookies before but these look fantastically fun! One question is the amounts of shortening and butter?? Equal so 1/4+1/8 cup of each or 1/2 cup one and 1/4 cup of the other. Sorry for seeming simple minded but I want them to turn out! Praying for your healing--you are so courageous to share openly and honestly. It is beautiful to read your blog, positive and encouraging. Thank you, Jill. My email is moofehr@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails