Sunday, January 2, 2011

Magnetic Spices: A Little Change Above the Stove

For Christmas, I got a few gifts from my parents that would be useful in organizing our kitchen just a smidgen.  One of the gadgets is the Simple Human paper towel holder, that moved our huge, clunky paper towel holder sitting on the counter up to the wall, neatly tucked under our cabinets, opening up a large space that once felt very scattered and cluttered.  My mind was literally freed in an instant from some invisible stress and ick feeling that was weighing me down all this time...all from a paper towel holder residing on our kitchen counters.  Who knew...amazing.

Wall Mounted Paper Towel Holder

Also under the tree for me were the magnetic strips and spice holders I had hoped for from IKEA.  My spice cabinet was quite full and not very organized, so I needed something that would free it up a bit.  These bad boys did just the trick.
GRUNDTAL Magnetic knife rack  Length: 20 7/8 " Height: 1 5/8 "  Length: 53 cm Height: 4 cm      GRUNDTAL Container  Diameter: 3 3/4 " Height: 1 1/2 " Package quantity: 3 pack  Diameter: 9.5 cm Height: 3.7 cm Package quantity: 3 pack


Warning: These pictures are by no means spectacular, nor will they blow you away with the wow factor in terms of kitchen loveliness...shoot, I didn't even straighten the ratty mctatty towel.  They are merely a quick little unprofessional peek into our little makeover above the stove.  I am SO looking forward to painting those cabinets soon!  Woo to the hoo!  Enjoy!

Before, I had this large decorative serving tray that I purchased at a Taste of Home party a few years back.  It was nice, but I wanted to brighten things up a bit, streamline, and update.



So now we have our magnetic rows of spices.  I love it.  Adds a tiny little bit of color too, in a natural earthy way, and feels a bit more fresh and clean than the tray did.  Also, the spices are easy to grab as I am cooking, and they make me feel happy.  Seeing them makes me want to cook.  I'm thinking these spices will look even better when we lighten the walls just a touch and paint those cabinets white!  Yeah baby!



We've got rosemary, chili powder, lemon pepper, basil, and oregano hanging out on the top row.
And on the bottom, we have parsley, poppy seeds, red pepper flakes, and good ol' smokey cumin.



Just for a little Valentine fun that is not too cheesy, I added my heart cookie cutters to the mix.
Metal Cookie Cutters + Magnetic Strip = An Unexpected Bit of Fun



I kind of (heart) this new set up.  :)
How are you spicing up your life in 2011 ? ! ? !
I aim to do a bit more in 2011...check it out HERE!

Hope you are having a lovely Sunday,


Hallelujah for a feature over at C.R.A.F.T.Keeping It Simple, and 504 Main!

Linking up with...

 Photobucket      Keeping It Simple  Dittle Dattle
Between Naps On The Porch    Becolorful  Photobucket  Photobucket      My Backyard Eden  
Simply Designing  button_thumb[12]        Photobucket
    Photobucket

    504 Main  
Photobucket  kojodesigns  Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for
 the weekend wrap up party!
  UndertheTableandDreaming  
HookingupwithHoH




   

29 comments:

  1. love your new spice rack! i just discovered cumin this year and i love it!! i love the heart cookie cutters too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the spice rack too! Seems like it would make putting spices into the cooking even more fun! :) We have that paper towel holder. It is GREAT! LOVE the Simple Human brand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart it too - especially the hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! One of these is on my must get list! I saw one that you put your knives on...but that seems dangerous!! Esp with kids! Have you seen it! I'll stick to the spices!!!

    Amanda
    todaystoptwenty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, I've not seen that kind of spice holder. It is great Ü

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm, spices. I think you should leave those heart cookie cutters up all the time. Adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks ladies! I must say, I am loving it.

    On a side note: I felt the same way about the knife magnet Amanda...kind of like...what?! Saw them in all the professional kitchens and wondered if it was really all it cracked up to be. But I'll share a little secret...I totally got a knife magnet too, just put it up, and LOVE it. Out of reach of my little buddy and a great counter space saver...hated my wooden knife block! Clutter off the counter = a wonderful feeling!

    Thanks again all! So fun! I think the hearts are staying for a while. Might do a little switcheroo with the train cookie cutter for my little buddy, but the hearts have definitely found a new home. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so stinkin' cute...I am featuring it tomorrow... thank for linking up to MMM...and be sure to grab a featured button :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great idea! Convenience is so important when you're trying to get a meal made for the family. It looks great too.
    I am glad you came over.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the updated look! So organized! Found you through Rook Nu 17 :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing. I saw the spices holder also at Ikea but i'm afraid to try them, i feel they're not really safe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very clever! I wish mine were magnetic! Great idea.

    I'd love for you to check out my blog, too!

    www.uvinyl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! I was browsing around to find some great new people to join my linky parties, and I am now your newest follower! I would love for you to come join in and don't forget to enter my $250 giveaway while you are there!
    DANA
    http://danajeanward.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. How nice - I seriously need to do something like this as I'm always digging for spices. I really {heart} your hearts! Hugs, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love this.. i gotta have one of these!!

    starting every monday over at www.tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com there will be giveaways and linky parties! so come and join in for some fun and inspiration!

    -The tootsie wootsie

    ReplyDelete
  16. How handy! and I adore the hearts!! You "AMAZE ME"! Thank you for linking up to the "Amaze Me Monday" blog party!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. great! I love the heart cookie cutters added in the mix!
    thanks for linking up and linking back!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks great. I can understand the visual relief from getting the paper towels off the counter. Amazing how something like that can just so annoy you. :) Your photos were actually spot on, although now I'm anxious to see the "afters" when you paint those cupboards.
    Have a great week and thanks for sharing at Motivated Monday at BeColorful
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea! I love the heart cookie cutters! Cute, simple and festive!

    Thanks for linking up at www.simplydesigning.blogspot.com

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, such sweet words! Thank you all. The spice rack is working out nicely, and just these small changes have made a huge improvement in our kitchen. I am looking forward to showing you what some white paint will do! Thanks all for sharing your sites too; I have visited them all. Wonderful!

    Hugs,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  21. Holly, thank you so much for linking up to "A Little Birdie Told Me...". I love the way you maximized your kitchen space and gave it a new stylish look as well with your Christmas presents! I love the way the magnetic spice holders look. Ikea, you say? I'm going to have to get some of those.

    I hope you'll swing by and share something again tomorrow! Best, Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  22. You ladies are so kind! It is working out well, and I am so pleased! Really trying to tidy up the kitchen!

    Hope you are having a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Ikea! I think the spices look fantastic there! I have always wondered how easy those are to really use. I like them better as decoration than as being able to utilize. lol
    I would love for you to link it up to my Organizing Mission Monday link party! Hope to see you there. I'm leaving the link since I'm not on blogger & you won't get a direct link.
    I keep it open until Friday
    http://www.organizewithsandy.com/2011/01/10/organizing-mission-monday-link-party-week-4/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have these magnetic spice holders on my refrigerator and I LOVE them! Thanks for sharing. I adore the little heart cookie cutters that you add to.

    xoxo,
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look really neat! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I kind of think I need to do this. It look pretty too...spices are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails