Friday, January 7, 2011

Inspired Recipe: Chicken Marsala...And My Mess in the Kitchen!

Whenever I make Chicken Marsala,




I am reminded of my wedding day...a little over seven years ago.  ( I loved our wedding; it was such a fun day.  But I always say I would love to have another wedding.  Make it five.  I would do so many things differently and try a whole new style...kicked back farm wedding...beautiful outdoor picnic wedding...on the mountain...near the water...the possibilities are endless.  Oh how I love weddings.)




Okay, back to Chicken Marsala.  I found Galluci's Catering at the Wedding Expo in Tacoma when we started our wedding planning.  We had them come and do a tasting at the house (What a special treat!  We sat with my parents and my soon to be in-laws and had an amazing chicken marsala meal cooked for us.), and we were sold.  Book it!

Because we were up and about and didn't settle ourselves down to eat much the evening of our wedding, one of the sweet caterers from Galluci's packed a little to go box (without us even knowing) and had it sent home with us on our wedding night.  How sweet is that?  They were just the sweetest people to work with and by golly made the best food.  The Hubbs and I drove for about an hour or so to The Salish Lodge for our wedding night, and when we got there, we realized we were famished.  We found our little wedding meal "to go," and stsuffed our faces, still in awe of the day, sharing laughs and tears as we remembered the special moments of the day!  I will never forget the insurmountable joy I felt that day.  It was magical.

Anyhow, my Mama and I found a chicken marsala recipe here a few years back that we have tweaked a little, and it has quickly become a family favorite.  I hope you will love it as much as we do.

Lately, it has been windy, rainy, and cold around here.  I know I am so grateful to have food on the table and a warm place to sleep each night.  I'm sure you are too, and the many blessings in your life.  If you feel so led, please share what you are grateful for right now!

Now let's get to the food!

But before I share the recipe, don't you love it when this...




(That's right, I'm not ashamed to share my cooking mess!)


  



Turns into...


This...?  I do!  Enjoy!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 


Chicken Marsala
Hallelujahs by Holly




Ingredients

  • 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Flour for dredging
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil 
  • 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, stemmed sliced or halved (I often double this)
  • 1/2 cup sweet Marsala wine  - (I often double this) 
  • ***DO NOT buy Marsala cooking wine...buy the real stuff.  It's usually around 9.99 at Fred Meyer.)
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock (I often double this)
  • 2 - 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Chopped flat-leaf parsley for garnish

Directions


Pound chicken breasts thoroughly (or they will be hard as a rock when you cook them...I often do this in a large Ziploc bag to avoid a big mess.).  Season with salt and pepper.  Set aside.
Heat the oil over medium-high flame in a large skillet...I love using my non-stick skillet to avoid sticking and frustration. When the oil is nice and hot, dredge the chicken breasts in the flour, avoiding too much excess. Fry for about 5 minutes on each side until golden and delicious looking, and turn.  You really only want to turn once, so do this in batches if you can't fit them all in your pan.  No harm done.  Remove the fried chicken to a plate or platter and set aside.  Mine are usually fine on the counter next to the stove, but you may want to cover or keep in the warm oven.  
In the same pan, melt some of the butter, add the mushrooms, and saute about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Pour the Marsala into the pan with the mushrooms and allow it to boil down for a couple minutes to cook out the alcohol.  Stand back...or you could literally get drunk off the fumes!  Add the chicken stock and simmer for another few minutes to reduce the sauce a bit.  Stir in a little more butter to thicken the sauce, and return the chicken to the pan.  Let this simmer for a couple minutes to meld all the flavors and warm the chicken.  Check for seasonings and garnish with parsley before serving.
I like serving this with a creamy pasta or mashed potater.
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Linking up with...

    
  Photobucket  Photobucket
  button_thumb[12]  
504 Main    Photobucket
kojodesigns  Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for
 the weekend wrap up party!  
Photobucket  UndertheTableandDreaming  Photobucket
  Keeping It Simple  


6 comments:

  1. looks delicious! That was very sweet of the caterer to pack a to go plate for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOUR MAGNETIC SPICE RACK.

    ughhh, I want one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi, it's always the thoughtful touches and gestures that resonate with me! They were so thoughtful!

    Go get one Ashley. So cheap-ola at IKEA! Woo to the hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I saw your Chicken Marsala link over at Under the Table and Dreaming's Sunday Showcase Party and my first thought was about the best Chicken Marsala I've ever had. My girlfriend was getting married and one of the caterers she was considering came over one evening to prepare a meal for them to use as their "interview." Oh, it was so devine and magical to eat. Yep, it was Galluci's!! What a small world that's a just a little bit better thanks to Galluci's Chicken Marsala! Congrats and I can't wait to try your recipe out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really yummy and I LOVE your wedding pictures! I just like looking at wedding pictures! And this looks tasty!

    Thanks for linnking this up!!!


    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holly, it was so joyful reading about your wedding, your kind and talented caterers, and your happy memories from that most special day! It's wonderful that you're able to recreate such a memorable dish, so rich with meaning and sentiment! Your chicken marsala dish sounds positively delicious, and I look forward to sharing it with my family. Thank you so much for linking up with "A Little Birdie Told Me..." I hope you'll return again to share and share more of your talent and joys! Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails