Thursday, December 16, 2010

Holly's Recipe: Butterfinger Wannabes and A Cookie Swap Breakdown

We had a great time of friends, family, and yummy holiday treats at my very first Cookie Swap!  I had so much fun hosting and am thinking this might just have to be an annual tradition!  I am so thankful for my friends and family...that they took time out of their busy schedules to join me.  Hallelujah for you, my dear loved ones.  You make this time of year so special!

Here's a little peek into the Cookie Swap, along with a simple recipe for Butterfinger Wannabes...a great treat that is so very easy to make and even more delicious to eat!  

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

GUESTS WERE ASKED TO BRING...
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

1.  1/2 dozen cookies/bars/treats for each guest attending (pre-packaged...ziplocs, tupperware, cellophane bags, etc...totally up to them).  I sent an Evite to confirm the number of guests ahead of time, also asking that they responded with the type of cookie they would bring (to avoid multiples of the same cookie).

2.  1 written or printed recipe for each guest in attendance

3.  1 basket/box/bag to carry home their cookie loot

4.  Some cookies for the tasting platters

*  I realize there are a million and one ways to do a Cookie Swap/Exchange.  This is just a peek into how I did mine this year.  Who knows...maybe next year will be a little different!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

SERVING TABLES
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


Before the guests arrived, I had all the serving tables ready for their (and the cookies') arrival.  To keep all the cookies organized, I set up two card tables, covered them in tablecloths, and set out all my white serving pieces (borrowing a couple from my Mom).  I highly recommend slowly collecting white serving ware.  I think it is so versatile...it's my favorite way to serve a beautiful meal!  It allows all the beautiful colors and textures of the food to stand out and speak for themselves!  But since these would be filled with packaged cookies, it just made for a nice backdrop for each guest to place their cookies and recipes.  For colors, I chose to decorate using reds and whites with touches of silver here or there (pretty much my holiday colors this year...not the most sophisticated...but definitely merry and bright).  And last, but not least, all wrapped up and ready to go were my Butterfinger Wannabes...the first cookies to hit the table!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

BEVERAGES
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I offered warm and cold beverages when my guests arrived.  Anticipating that everyone has their own preference for the perfect accompaniment to cookies, I offered an assortment of drink options...hot chocolate, hot cider, various teas, raspberry lemonade, milk, and sparkling cider.  And do you remember my Jingle Bell Stemware? I put a little twist on it to use for the cookie party...using some elastic silver ribbon, a silver jingle bell, and some paper snowflake embellishments from Target.  Very festive.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

THE GUESTS
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


Some of my favorite ladies were able to join me.  



Thank you for taking time out of your busy lives to come!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

THE COOKIE TABLES
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


By the time everyone had come, our tasting table had a plethora of cookies for munching, and our cookie swap table was piled high with delicious treats to take home!  Woo hoo; hallelujah for sharing baked goods!


We all got to take home some yummy treats, along with a few new recipes to add to our collections!

Scotcheroo Bars
Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
Easy Turtle Pretzels
Cake Mix Lemon Cookies
White Chocolate Butterscotch Coconut Cookies
Chocolate No Bake Cookies
Martha's Pecan Shortbread Cookies
Mom's Famous Frosted Sugar Cookies
Butterfinger Wannabes

Don't they look delicious?!

 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

A Few Extra Treats
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I couldn't resist sharing a few more of my favorite holiday treats. I also gave my guests a CD of some beloved Christmas songs (including THIS Steven Curtis Chapman's The Music of Christmas and one of our FREE Shutterfly Christmas Cards (which wasn't even one of the cards I mentioned liking...but one I ended up loving) to take home.  Toward the end of the evening, there were also two special gifts for the winners of a simple drawing (just a couple sweet little ornaments)!


Hope you enjoyed a little peek into our Cookie Swap.  Have you ever experienced a Cookie Swap?  I found it to be so much fun...a great way to connect with friends during this busy time and a great way to enjoy so many different holiday treats without having to bake them all myself!   Looking forward to next year!  Get ready ladies!

And now, here's the recipe for my Butterfinger Wannabes
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Butterfinger Wannabes Recipe
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


Ingredients
Triscuit Crackers
Peanut Butter
Chocolate Almond Bark

Directions
          1. Melt chocolate almond bark.  Set aside.
          2. Spread peanut butter between two Triscuts and sandwich together.
          3. Coat Triscuit sandwich  in chocolate.
          4. Set on waxed paper to cool and harden.
          5. Repeat this process for as many as you make.
          6. Enjoy!


No joke; these little treats taste so much like Butterfinger candy bars.  It's crazy!  I embellished my packaged Butterfinger Wannabes with some of the same supplies for my jingle bell stemware...more snowflake embellishments, silver elastic ribbon, and a jingle bell!

 Merry Christmas friends.  Here's to hoping you are finding many ways to celebrate the birth our Savior by gathering with loved ones.

Blessings,


Linking up with...

Home Is Where My Story Begins  Get your craft on Thurs.  Olivia Renn

HookingupwithHoH    


  winter holiday  

  HollyBloggyButton1  

<b>Add my button to your sidebar!</b>     Choochmagooz  LoveFeast's Holiday Cookie Exchange  Simply Designing    Check me out Saturdays    Photobucket UndertheTableandDreaming  Photobucket     TastyTuesday200pix I No Longer Cook Edition of Tasty Tuesday  BCD 125   

21 comments:

  1. Looks like a ton of fun! I am hosting a cookie exchange this weekend and I am totally going to copy your ideas!!!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Triscuits...REALLY! Now this I gotta try!
    Bet they where the hit if the party!
    Thanks for sharing.

    Would love you to link it up to my premier Food Fight Link party!
    http://choochmagooz.blogspot.com/2010/12/food-fight-friday-vanilla-kipferl.html
    Happy Holidays
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness--what fun! I can't wait to show the "girls" in my life. We will definitely be having a Cookie Swap next year. And Holly, I haven't told you for a while...I LOVE your blog! It should seriously be a magazine though. I would definitely buy a subscription.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this idea, this would be great for my ladies meetings
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could have come to your party! It looks like a blast and you had everything set up so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun party!! I love that you got to try so many new cookies AND got recipes to boot. The Butterfinger wannabes sound really good. Thank you so much for linking this up to Homemade Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM!!! That looks like a great party. I can't wait to try those butterfinger cookies! Thanks for linking up to home and family Friday. The photos on your blog are beautiful! I'll be back to look around.

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! I've never done a cookie swap, but would love to. Your Butterfinger Wannabes look & sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a feast and fun party! :) Love your recipe and the name of the recipe as well! ;) Happy Holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those cookies look and sound delish! I hosted a cookie exchange in '08 and '09 and had to skip this year, without a kitchen! Looking forward to hosting one again next year. It was fun seeing how you organized yours. So many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cookie swaps. Yummy looking recipes! I'm visiting from "a little lovely". Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun cookie recipe. I'm going to have to give it a try.

    I hosted my annual Cookie Exchange last weekend. Always such a fun girls gathering.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful way to make memories!Hopping over to say Good Morning. I enjoyed my visit to your blog. hugs, Katherine P.S. stop by for a visit and don't forget to enter my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun party!!! LOVE that recipe!! I linked your post up to Christmas I'm Lovin' It Round Up!! thanks again!! http://tidymom.net/2010/im-lovin-it-christmas-round-up/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing! I love butterfingers and have all these supplies on hand:) Your cookie exchange looks like it was very efficient, organized, fun and tasty! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ciao Holly da oggi ci sono anche io a seguire il tuo blog, complimenti ^_*
    Buona giornata
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your set up looks wonderful. I just did my second one through a girl at work, and find it so fun to prepare treats for sharing. It's a great way to have a tray of treats for visiting and get-togethers too. I divide mine up into six packages and put them in the freezer, easy to grab one and bring it to any gathering. I'm going to try those butterfinger wannabe's too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am your newest follower, and guess what?! It is linky party day on my blog! Please come enter the giveaway and link up to my Strut Your Stuff Party! I love your blog!
    -Dana, Saturday Mornings

    http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/12/50-american-express-giveaway-ends.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Holly! Just wanted to let you know I featured these for the Homemade Christmas Recipes portion of my Christmas party today! Thanks again for linking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like a great party. I made your Butterfinger wannabes today and they were yummy! I linked to you on my blog tonight :o) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You all have got to be the kindest ladies! Thank you for all the comments. I'm glad to know some of you tried or will try these treats. A little salty and a little sweet, just a perfect little combination.

    Happy New Year to you!
    Much love,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails