Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Favorite Things: Christmas Book List

I had a reader ask if I could share some of the titles from our Christmas book basket pictured HERE!


Well sure!  I'm so happy to share!  Quickly though, a short little history.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

As a young girl in elementary school, I remember rushing home with the Scholastic book orders, plopping myself down in the living room at the coffee table, and circling all the books I wanted to buy.  My parents were so kind as to encourage my brother, sister, and I as readers, and we often got to put in our order.  This went on all through elementary school, every year, every teacher, each time Scholastic orders were handed out in my classrooms.  I couldn't get enough.

Fast forward to college.  Growing up wanting to do so, I was blessed to go to school to become a teacher.  In the School of Education classes, several of my professors offered Scholastic book orders, and I had a hard time passing them up.  Always on the lookout, bookstores (mostly the sales bins and shelves) were my playground.  As a teacher, my school had book fairs filled with beautiful books for students and teachers to buy.  In the staff room, the "Book Man" would come and leave a display of special books for teachers to be enticed by peruse and purchase.  When I think about it, I don't think I ever passed up an opportunity to add to my collection.  Mostly I ordered thinking of my future students and my totally awesome classroom library.    I also considered the future twinkles in my eye (the little munchkins I so hoped for).  But I also ordered for myself...for my love of books...for the love of beautiful illustrations and the joy of reading a precious story.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
With that in mind, I'll share a few of our Christmas favorites...and some I hope to purchase in the future.  I posted these links through Amazon, so if you'd like, click the picture of the book, and in most cases, it will take you to the page where you can in fact "click to look inside" the books.  So fun to get a little sneak peek.  A bit of a long list...I just couldn't help myself!  They are in no particular order.  Enjoy!



The Night Before Christmas
Twas the Night Before Christmas
This version specifically has the most gorgeous illustrations.



One Winter's Night
One Winter's Night
The nativity from an unusual perspective.


A Snowman Named Just Bob
A Snowman Named Just Bob
My students made the most beautiful snowman art inspired by this story. 



The Polar Express
The Polar Express
Great for a full day experience.  Ticket under your child's door 
in the morning (or on a desk after recess).  Polar Express reading 
and hot chocolate in the evening (or following afternoon story time).
Special jingle bell gift awaiting them when finished.  So special.
  


The Little Shepherd Girl: A Christmas Story
The Little Shepherd Girl: A Christmas Story



I'll Be Home for Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
I'll Be Home for Christmas - Toot & Puddle
The cutest little pigs you ever did see.  



Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer



Humphrey's First Christmas (Religion Beliefs General Inter)
Humphrey's First Christmas




Christmas Day in the Morning
Christmas Day in the Morning



Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons
Christmas Cookies
A gift from my Mom.  Gotta love Christmas cookies.



The Gift of the Christmas Cookie: Sharing the True Meaning of Jesus' Birth
The Gift of the Christmas Cookie



Frosty the Snowman (Little Golden Book)
Frosty the Snowman



The Spirit of Christmas
The Spirit of Christmas
Would love to get this book in the future.
Looks just lovely and magical.


Legend of the Christmas Tree, The
The Legend of the Christmas Tree




The Christmas Candle
The Christmas Candle



Legend of the Christmas Stocking
Legend of the Christmas Stocking





Olive, the Other Reindeer
Olive the Other Reindeer
We met the author at a book signing in Portland, Oregon while visiting 
with friends.  He was quite "carefree."  They had the marijuana parade 
that same weekend.  Get my drift?  Even so, the book is pretty cute.



Who Is Coming to Our House? (Board Book) [Board book]
Who Is Coming to Our House?
Board Book



Christmas in the Manger Board Book
Christmas In the Manger
Board Book




Baby Jesus is Here!: A Really Woolly & Friends Christmas Story (Really Woolly Series)
Baby Jesus is Here
Touch and Feel Board Book




Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
Room for A Little One



A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
A Wish to Be A Christmas Tree

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

I've read that some folks wrap up all their Christmas books and then open one each night to read as a family as an advent acitivity and celebration.  I think I might try that one of these years!

Happy reading to you and your family,

4 comments:

  1. I did exactly the same thing with the scholastic orders! It is incredible to think that you can live on the other side of the world and yet have exactly the same childhood experiences!! Thanks for rekindling the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting out the stack of Christmas books for the girls - loved seeing what's in your basket! I like your new header/logo, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think so too Simone! I am amazed at the connections we can all have from miles away! Glad to be "in touch" with you!

    And thanks so much Brenda! Christmas books are just the best. We love reading them to Cooper, but I also can't wait to have him sit on our laps and read them to us. So many special times to look forward to in the future.

    Blessings to you both! Hope you are enjoying this precious holiday time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and Brenda, thanks for the compliments on the header. I like the simplicity of it, and how it could fit nicely into any season...and I could change what's in the blurb around. Not sure if I'm completely sold on black and white...but we will see. It's just fun to play around and figure out what I like by trial and error!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails