Sunday, November 7, 2010

Orphan Sunday

It is Orphan Sunday today.  We honored this day at church this morning, with prayers, encouragement, urging, scripture, and a slide show of sweet faces.  Our small group also met today (We are reading Richard Stearns book, The Hole in Our Gospel, and it coincides with this topic perfectly.) and had some poignant discussions.  All day, I was moved to tears.  How is it that as human beings, we are allowing any children to experience hunger, homelessness, terror, abuse, easily curable sicknesses, and the list continues?  How is it?  How can we see pictures of it and read stories about it so often, and yet be so numb to it?  How have we allowed ourselves to grow so distant from the thought of all this happening?  How have I stood by and done nothing?

How have I just let this go?  How can this all seem so far removed from my life?  What can I do?  How can I step beyond myself?  I have so much to strip from my life and add to it in the way of compassion and mercy.

Not realizing it was Orphan Week this week, I actually signed up to sponsor a child through World Vision (at the Women of Faith even in Seattle) last weekend.  I have been aching to do this for some time, and for some ridiculous reason or another, I haven't.  It's seriously about time.  I don't have all the information yet, but I do know we will be sponsoring a 12 year old girl named Masefu.  The pamphlet said she likes art.  Imagine, her life was boiled down to a few paragraphs in a pamphlet insert.  She lives in Tanzenia and still has both of her parents (not common in their AIDS stricken community), but they just can't seem to make ends meet. Can you imagine the pain and desperation they must feel, not being able to care and provide for their children fully?  Can you imagine the pain of looking into your child's eyes and not being able to feed their hungry cries?  (Sobbing here just thinking about it.)  Oh Masefu, I look forward to getting to know you.  I so long to help you in any way I am able.  It might be small, but I am willing.  Sponsoring her will literally be $35 a month. That is one night dining out with your family.  One dinner.  Maybe one Christmas gift (out of the many) that you are going to gift this year.  One pair of shoes (out of your stacks and stacks).  One shirt (again, out of your overstuffed closet full).  Could you fore go these things in order to  invest in a child's life...a child's future...a child's health...a child's joy?  If your child were deathly sick, poor, aching for love...would you hope and pray that someone would be willing to sacrifice something so temporary to permanently affect your child's life for the better?  If your child was hungry and you were out of groceries, wouldn't you pray and hope for some help in feeding him?  Would you want someone to care?  Just care?

Maybe sponsoring a child through World Vision is for you?  Maybe it isn't.

Can you participate in Operation Christmas Child?

Longing to adopt?  Foster?

Want to volunteer at a shelter or orphanage close to home but haven't had the courage to do so?

Are you meant to be a mentor or care for a child that has a really rough life?

I think what I'm asking is...

What is for you?  What can you do?  All God is commanding that we do is love.  Jesus boils it down for us...

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"  

Jesus replied: '"Love the Lord your God with all your heart 
and with all your soul and with all your mind.'  This is the 
first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 
‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  All the Law and the 
Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Matthew 22: 36-40

Isn't this command pretty clear?

My sweet sister in law, AnaLisa, shared some of her heart today in regard to orphan Sunday, and you can read it HERE.  You will read such courageous sharing and testimony and some really moving stories.

I pray that God would continue to break my heart for what breaks His heart.  I pray that He would move me to action.

Blessings to you and your family this Sunday.  I pray God stirs your heart in a way that only you can respond. Be His hands and feet.  Live beyond yourself.


1 comment:

  1. Love you Holly. You are beautiful inside and out. XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails