Friday, October 8, 2010

Feeling Thrifty: Value Village and Good Will Report

My Mom and I had another productive thrift store shopping trip the other day.  We decided to venture to Value Village and the Good Will, two spots that are near and easy to get to.  We were specifically looking for birthday and Christmas presents for the Coopster, as well as my nieces and nephews.  Aside from that, we are always looking for any special treasures that are just too hard to pass up (not getting carried away of course).

This year, we are all excited to be creative and thrifty in gifting, and it's great to talk to family members and know that we are all on the same page.  Thank goodness.  Tight gift budget this year, and so in heading to second hand stores for perfectly good gifts, maybe we will actually have enough money this year to give some away...to folks who really need it.  REALLY.  :)

Our first stop was Value Village.  While there, I scored a couple of great faith driven books (0.69 each...in great condition), cow dress up ears (They had isles and isles of fun and crazy Halloween stuff.  Not my favorite holiday, but with it comes some fun costume and dress up opportunities.), an awesome toy construction loader (Cooper is in love with all the huge, yellow construction vehicles lately...I always get an, "Oh wooow!" when we drive by construction sites.), and the LeapFrog Alphabet Pal (around 30.00 new) in perfect condition with a little scrub-a-dub-dub.  I was stoked to snag all of this for around 16.00.  A couple gifts checked off the birthday and Christmas lists...on the cheap.  WOO to the HOO!

The only tough part of this shopping trip was witnessing a mom berate her children for really no reason at all.  It made my heart sink.  I wanted to hug them.  Go give your little buddies big hugs and kisses.  Be thankful that you know better.



Our next stop was the Good Will.  Nothing too flashy there this time, but for just under 10.00, definitely a few good finds.  I spied a great bath boat for Cooper (Mega Bloks brand), a decorative mini red wagon for Cooper's room (making sure the "it's a boy!" sticker peeled off easily first...thinking it was a great Radio Flyer impersonator), a fun yellow bus to add to Cooper's vehicle collection, the ladybug xylophone with mallet (which for some reason did not come with our set) for our Paren'ts Bee Bop BandParents Magazine Bee Bop Band (normally around 30.00 at Target I believe), and an 85th Anniversary Barnum's Circus Animal Crackers tin (fun and festive tin for Cooper's crayons right now).



But wait, do you see something else in this picture that I haven't mentioned yet?  Yes, I thought so.  How could you miss it?

Now comes my favorite find of the day.  Included in my treasures at the Good Will was a really well made, wooden child sized chair.  It was sitting there near the toy section with bubble gum pink paint covering every inch, but I looked right past that and saw the potential in this beauty.  Hey, I've got nothing against the color pink, and actually am quite fond of it, but I've got Cooper on my mind.  He's not really into pink chairs.  :)  I squealed with excitement called my Mom over to see this one.  We were thrilled!  Great shape, simple lines, nice and sturdy.  Sold!  Just the perfect little piece for a great makeover project...and just the right size for Cooper.  Really though...the best part about this find...it was only 3.99.  I know, right?!  I see these kinds of chairs all the time in popular stores for 4-10 times that amount, depending on the store.  It is going to be sanded, primed, painted, and well loved.  Look for a future post on this one!




The only question now is...what color?  I am thinking Rustoleum's Heirloom White with a fun little something on the seat, classic red, a fun turquoise blue, bright yellow, or a fun apple/lime green.  The possibilities are endless.

Looking forward to the chair project and thankful for simple little treasures for a real steal.

Love it!  Wishing you a happy thrifting experience of your own!

Thanks for reading,


Linking up with The Shabby Nest's Frugal Friday Party

2 comments:

  1. Don't you just love finding a good deal! Congrats on the chair! Have you painted it yet? I'd love to see what you decided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brandi! I have the chair sanded and ready to prime and paint, but the weather around here has held me up just a bit. I might venture to my Dad's shop to finish it up!

    Thanks again! I will be sure to post the chair as I finish it up!

    Blessings,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails