Friday, June 11, 2010

Inspired Recipe: My Nod to Ina's California BLT



This has got to be one of my favorite sandwiches to make...and eat.  It is a nod to Ina Garten's California BLT, that I saw while watching The Barefoot Contessa on The Food Network.  The tweaks I make give it a little more ooomph for a dinner option.

Ingredients
Chicken breast (I use 3 for 4 - 5 sandwiches...Coop gets halves)
Emeril's Original Essence seasoning
Whole wheat bread
Avocado
Lemon
Tomato (2 Romas)
Bacon

I start by cooking the chicken breast meat with Emeril's.  While the chicken is cooking, I begin slicing the tomatoes (thinly) and slicing the avocado (after which I squeeze fresh lemon juice on and stir to coat).  After the chicken is cooked, I make sure to let it cool so that the juices redistribute back into the meat, rather than run all over my cutting boad.  While it's cooling, I cook the bacon in the same pan I used for the chicken...yahoo!  Only one pan to clean.  When the chicken has rested for about 5 - 10 minutes, I chop it up and mix it with mayonnaise...about the consistency of tuna.  Then, I lightly toast two pieces of whole wheat bread (sometimes I toast them and sometimes I don't...) and smear them with a little mayonnaise.  Having all the prep behind me, the assembling begins.

First, spread some of the chicken on one slice.  On top of the chicken, I place 3 slices of Oscar Meyer bacon (which always seems to be the nicest looking bacon when I go to get bacon...which is rarely...and also is in a self sealing container for easy storage).  After the bacon, I arrange the avocado slices for best coverage.  Sometimes when they are too slippery, I mash them up a bit and spread it on more easily.  Next, tomatoes are placed atop, followed by a light sprinkle of salt and pepper.  The other slice of bread is placed on top, and the sandwich is cut on the diagonal.

Couple this sandwich with some Alexia seasoned waffle fries and finish with a couple strawberries or fruit of your choice, and you've got a big ol' pile of yum to enjoy.

Many blessings,
Holly

Linking up with..

4 comments:

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails