Thursday, April 29, 2010

Food, Inc.


As an adult, I have become somewhat of a "foodie," but never quite took myself very seriously. I basically love food. I gained a fascination with food and cooking when I quit my teaching job to stay home and take care of my arthritic self! I followed The Food Network daily and quickly learned how to cook from watching the shows and listening to the chefs share little tidbits you wouldn't otherwise get simply from reading a recipe. It has become a passion in recent years. The art of cooking, entertaining, serving, and dining...it brings me great joy. The opportunity to experience fine cuisine, new flavors, divine flavors and dishes...my constant desire. Sometimes I thank God for my arthritis (might sound ridiculous), because in more ways than one, it has helped steer me into the person I am today.

Yesterday I watched the documentary, Food, Inc.   I have wanted to see it for quite some time but just never quite got around to it.  I had seen interviews and tidbits and knew it was about the production of food in America and how it has changed and developed, but I guess I didn't really pay attention to the devastating extent to which it all has come.  I feel like I could go on forever and off on so many tangents; it's quite ridiculous. So I thought I would share just a bit before my brain explodes. I wish I had more time to be thorough and intellectual, but for now, this is what I will share for what it's worth.

Oh my.

Listening to the general facts, it was all information I feel like I've heard or read before, but it was all put together in a very startling way.  How have I let myself become so passive in regards to all the information out there surrounding this issue...how each morsel of food is produced and finally ends up on my plate?  How can this all be so removed from my life...our lives?  How have we (me, you, our families, our nation, our American culture) allowed money to become more important than human lives?  Think of all the other REALLY serious and devastating human issues America needs to address.  Something as simple as food...how it is produced...has become a disgrace...all for the sake of money...all for the sake of power...all for the sake of convenience!

Ugh.

I have to say, having wanted to watch Food, Inc. for so long and finally watching it has simply brought out a huge amount of disgust in me.  I've seen the pictures of the cows being abused and the horrific living conditions they live in, as well as the pigs and chickens, and I've heard of and seen the disgraceful practices certain large companies partake in to stay on top of the game.  However, I don't think I've ever allowed it to sink in completely.  I allowed myself to grow numb to this situation and all that it encompasses.  It was beyond me.  It was outside of my bubble.  What could I do about it?  What should I do about it?  Watching the documentary kind of pulled it all together for me and in a way, flicked the lightbulb (that had gone off for me so many times before) so that it would once again glow.

Not only CAN I do better for myself as well as the two fellas that I take pleasure in cooking for, but I HAVE to do better.  How dare I stand by and act as if all this information means nothing.  How can there even be a choice not to do better?  Who doesn't choose to at least try and be better....just try?  Who wouldn't want to try?

Yes we live in a culture dominated by the desire for convenience, and everyone seems to think their time is more precious than the moments it takes to cook a well balanced meal.  But for now, I am choosing to try.  To take what I know and what I can continue to learn, and try to do better....for me, for my family, and for others with which I share this world.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see this. I try to turn a blind eye sometimes, too, but it really is disgusting...

    Question for you: how does Brian feel about all of this and your desire to serve him and Cooper healthier, more local (and, alas, more expensive) food? Bryce is on board with some of it, but really doesn't "buy in" to a lot of info he hears, and sometimes thinks I go overboard :)...maybe he and I should watch Food Inc. together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Audrey! I think it would be great for you and Bryce to watch it together, because then all the info can sink in for him as it will you...and you won't feel the need to explain or convince. I'm glad I finally watched the show, and I bet you will be too. It definitely made me want to do something. I had a similar feeling after watching the documentary, Supersize Me, by Morgan Spurlock...haven't eaten at McDonald's or other fast food places without wincing.

    Brian seems to be glad and go with the flow with all I've shared with him so far. I haven't done much yet or done a ton of shopping that would reflect the expense yet, but my bet would be if it really got to be too expensive, we'd have to just find a happy medium.

    I am trying to do the little things that make me feel like I am trying. And just looking into it a little makes me feel like I'm winning a small victory.

    We get milk delivered from Smith Brother's Farms, and I do try to cook fresh, healthy meals when possible. I am going to look for some more organic products to try, and I am going to go to a butcher near by (which I've never done) to try some organic meat products. I think it will be more expensive, and I think after trying it for a while, I'll just have to decide if it is worth it.

    I think it will definitely take some extra effort to really figure out what is going to work for us. I'm willing to give it a shot. Hope you find a good balance for the four of you! Thanks for chiming in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting here at Hallelujahs. It means so much to me. I read each and every one and am encouraged and inspired by you! I am shouting a big, "Hallelujah!" for your kindness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails